ABBOT ALPHEGE ACADEMY LOCAL GOVERNING BODY
ACADEMIC YEAR 2019/2020
Term of Office
|Foundation Appointments||Mr Derek Hall [Chair]
Mr R Garforth [Vice Chair]
|31.01.2017 – 29.01.2021
31.01.2017 – 29.01.2021
|Elected Parent||Mrs Sophie Dyer
Mr Anton Awramenko
|Acting Co-Headteachers||Mrs Sharon Badger & Mrs Sarah Halls||[Temporary Ex-officio]|
|Director Appointment||Cllr Colin Barrett||15.07.2018 – 14.07.2022|
The Local Governing Body of Abbot Alphege Academy will, for the time being, be the Local Governing Body of Weston All Saints Primary School
I have a personal connection with WASPS through my two granddaughters, one of whom has just left Year 6 and the other has moved into Year 5 – doing the school run most days and attending Year Assemblies and many other school events. I would like to use the experience and skills gained over 34 years in state education to support the Executive Headteacher and staff in their ongoing work to give the children of WASPS and Abbot Alphege Academy an enjoyable and first-rate school experience.
Previously I was Head of Modern Languages, Deputy Head and spent 12 successful years as Headteacher of a large, mixed secondary school in South Gloucestershire. After retiring in 2006 I worked for 3 years in Gloucestershire as a Secondary School Improvement Partner and for 10 years teaching part-time GCSE and ‘A’ Level German and French at King Edward’s School, Bath.
Mark has lived in Bath for nearly 40 years. An ex-pupil of Beechen Cliff school and Bath College he has worked for many years in his family business where he is currently Chairman. Mark was elected as Councillor for Newbridge ward in the May local elections and his interests apart from politics are literature, music, cycling, and the occasional bad round of golf. Mark lives in Batheaston with his partner Victoria and their daughter Thea who is 6 years old. He has much experience with dealing with charities and arts in the local community via the Roper Family Trust which supports many community activities.
• 1966-69: Chemistry degree at Nottingham University.
• 1969-71: two years with the charity VSO teaching at a college of higher education in Tamil Nadu, South India.
• 1971-73: two year Masters degree in Education & Science at Cambridge University.
• 1973-2015 Chemistry teacher at Kingswood School in Bath: additional roles included Senior House Master of a boarding house, Head of Careers Education & Guidance, sports coach and Ten Tors trainer, pastoral and academic tutor, member of Advisory Committee for a new-build Kingswood Prep School 1992-3.
• Retired July 2015: current roles and responsibilities: Trustee and Treasurer of the Village Service Trust, a charity supporting marginalised and tribal communities in southern India; Development Manager for Young Carers Development Trust, a charity supporting young carers in Avon, Somerset and Wiltshire; Vice-Chair of WASPS local governing body; voluntary assistant archivist at Kingswood School.
• Interests: cycle-touring, fell-walking, photography, member of All Saints Weston Church, member of Weston Gardening Club, member of Bath Cantata Group choir.
• Married with three daughters in Shrewsbury, London and Sydney, and with three grandchildren.
• Nominated governor responsible for overseeing Safeguarding and Child Protection.
Anton has been involved with WASPS as a parent for many years whose three children attended WASPS before moving on successfully to other schools.
Anton is a serving Fire Officer for Avon Fire and Rescue Service, responsible for the unitary areas of Bristol and North Somerset. Along with operational incidents, part of his role includes fire investigation, Health and Safety accident investigation and community safety within his management role.
He, with a colleague is in the process of setting up a “WorkFit” Scheme within the Fire Service to provide employment support for young adults with Special Needs.
Anton joined WASPS as a governor in January 2019 and his wealth of Health & Safety expertise is of real value to the school.
Governors may be contacted via
Weston All Saints Primary School, Broadmoor Lane, Weston, Bath, BA1 4JR
01225 421 786
Click for governor register of business interests
Click for governor attendance records
For Governance information relating to the The Bath and Mendip Partnership Trust, please follow this link: https://thebathandmendippartnershiptrust.co.uk/governance/